We Are Renovating the J!
We are so excited to finally share that after four years in the making, the J will be undergoing a major renovation this September! Let’s take you back to how this all got started…
In 2016, we developed a master plan that would engage our members and the community in exciting and dynamic ways. Unfortunately, our plan was cut short in 2017 due to Hurricane Harvey. At that point, we knew that before moving forward, we had an obligation to revitalize our community first.
Two years later in 2019, our conviction remained firm: We were going to resume our campaign and reinvest in the community in unprecedented ways for generations to come. And today, we’re excited to announce publicly to our community that it has officially resumed!
As of February 2020, we’ve raised a monumental $36 million toward our $50 million goal from over 80 families in support of our plan. Now more than ever, we must reinvest in our facilities, programs and neighborhood-at-large to foster a thriving, welcoming and inclusive community.
In this email, we’ll discuss what we are upgrading, how you can stay updated, and how you can support Our New J during this time of growth. Before we do, we want you to know that we understand how the past several years have been challenging for our city. With that in mind, we want to thank you, our members and community, for your patience during our flood recovery.
What Will Be Upgraded?
Whether you’re an avid swimmer, a dedicated athlete, a talented painter or someone who just wants to enjoy the company of others, Our New J will benefit everyone! With this upgrade, you’ll get:
- More space dedicated for socializing and gathering with friends.
- State-of-the-art aquatic and fitness facilities including an indoor pool, brand-new and higher-end locker rooms, family changing room, dance studios, a culinary studio and more.
- Better protection against future flooding with our new water detention system.
- New and enhanced programs for everyone.
- Enhanced safety and security in and around the J.
- A refreshed and modernized hub for the Jewish community.
- Barrier-free facilities with improved accessibility.
Important Information You Need to Know
The full renovation will take two years and will break ground this September. Here’s what you need to know:
- Nothing will be affected this summer, including the pool and J Camps
- The construction will be staged, meaning the whole facility will never be under construction at one time.
- However, during construction, if/when services and programs need to be transitioned to alternate locations, we will communicate to you as temporary transitions take place.
- Want a peek at what we have planned? You can view architectural renderings of Our New J here.
How You Can Stay Updated on Renovations
We will make sure you are fully aware of any changes and adjustments happening at the J during renovations, as well as the exciting new facilities and programs we are planning to add.
We have a variety of ways planned to communicate important updates with you, including:
Throughout construction, we will update you with what’s going on in a frequent and timely manner. Stay tuned for information on upcoming town hall meetings where you can learn more and have your questions answered.
How You Can Support the Renovation
We hope you are as thrilled as we are to welcome this new phase of the J. We are overjoyed for you to get to experience the inclusive community that will be Our New J!
Our New J is everyone's J, and we invite your participation. If you would like to support this renovation and our mission to build Jewish community, please contact our Chief Development Officer, Anita Bormaster, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach out to our CEO, Joel Dinkin, at email@example.com.
We are so excited to get started on this project and better meet the needs of our community and surrounding neighborhoods!