We are pleased to announce that members will be able to enjoy Pickleball and Recreational Basketball at the Merfish Teen Center (9000 S. Rice) starting Sunday, November 1. Please read details for both of these activities below.
All members that wish to participate in these activities, will need to make a reservation by calling the Fitness Desk at 713.551.7211. These activities are for active members only. No guests are allowed at this time. Basketball courts may be reserved by single families or individuals. Family members from the same household, or one individual, may reserve a half court. An adult (over 18 years old) must be present during the time of the reservation.
Specific Health & Safety Guidelines
- To help create a fun but safe environment for everyone, these are the guidelines we will be asking each member to follow when playing pickleball or basketball.
- All families/members will check in at the gate from the parking lot by showing their health screening for all family members and their membership badges to the staff person on site.
- The staff person will let you know which court you are playing on when you check in.
- Families/members kindergarten and older are expected to wear mask at all times, except when they are on their court playing.
- The courts will be set up and safely spaced for everyone to begin play. Members must furnish their own equipment including paddles, balls, towels and water.
- There may be other activities such as lap swimming and swim team taking place at the Merfish Teen Center at the same time. We ask that all members stay in their reserved space and respect the space of others.
- Pickleball will be set up on the outdoor tennis courts of the Merfish Teen Center. There will be 4 courts available per time slot. Each time slot will accommodate 4 separate groups, for a max of 16 people per time slot.
- The outdoor basketball courts will be divided into four half courts so that we can accommodate four families at one time to come out and shoot around.
- Bathrooms are available but we ask that only one person use at a time except where assistance from a parent is needed.
- All participants will be asked to exit out of the same gate that they enter.
For Pickleball, we will be offering four time slots on Sundays and two time slots on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Times are as follows. The schedule allows for a 30 minute break in between sessions to help promote an easier transition of groups.
|8:00 AM-9:15 AM
9:45 AM-11:00 AM
3:00 PM-4:15 PM
4:45 PM-6:00 PM
| 4:30 PM-5:30PM
For basketball there are two time slots on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays with a 30 minute break in between sessions to help promote an easier transition of groups.
|8:30 AM-9:30 AM
10:00 AM-11:00 AM
Using the zip code of 77096 on the weather.com app, if the temperature should drop below 45 degrees outdoor activities at the Merfish Teen Center will not be held. You can begin making your reservations today by calling 713.551.7211. We look forward to seeing everyone on the courts. For more information on these activities, please email Lee Hutchens at email@example.com.
We have recently changed over one of our in-person classes to virtual. Combat HIIT with Brian is now available on J@Home Wednesdays at 9:30 AM. This is a great class that requires no equipment. Brian is an experienced Krav Maga instructor and combines traditional boxing moves with calisthenics to create a lung burning and fat burning workout.
Also, we will hold the Stay Young Thru Fitness Monday class in person starting Monday, November 2. This class will be held at the main campus outside on the pool deck. Class time will remain at noon. Members may enter through the pool gates but must wear masks entering and exiting. Chairs will be placed far enough apart that masks will be optional during class.
Virtual Cancer Presentation from MD Anderson
We are excited to host a third virtual presentation from MD Anderson on 9 Ways to reduce your cancer risk. Up to 50 percent of cancer cases in the United States could be prevented through healthy lifestyle choices. Learn more about how healthy choices and regular screening exams can protect you against cancer. This presentation will be available on our J@Home platform Wednesday, November 11 at 1 PM.
For more information regarding Group Exercise or anything fitness related please email Robin Fortenberry at firstname.lastname@example.org.