Online Art Programs
We are excited to offer the following teen/adult online art classes. For more information, please contact Maxine Silberstein at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potters Throughout History
Wednesday, Aug 12, 19, 26 | 3:30 PM-4:30 PM
Instructor: Stacy Kuropata
In this course, we will be looking at different styles of pottery throughout history and throughout the world. We will study the techniques of historical potters and learn how to implement them into our own work. Join us as we examine ancient work from the Greeks, Mimbres, Yuan Dynasty, and more as well as contemporary artists such as George Ohr, also known as the Mad Potter of Biloxi. Learn how these master potters created!
Abstract Watercolors I
Aug 17 & 19 | 7:00 PM-8:30 PM
Join artist and art teacher Ruthi Drori Mitelman for a creative break with Watercolors! In this two part lesson, learn the basics of working with watercolors in this fun beginner's class. You'll learn some color theory, some techniques like washes, glazing, dropping in color and wet on wet. We will create a test sheet, and begin work on an abstract floral painting, full of layers, color and whimsy! In the next lesson, we will review techniques and finish our painting. We will also discuss the new fashion of adding markers to watercolor paintings for a mixed media work of art! Lessons are 90 minutes long.
- Cold press watercolor paper, 140-330 lbs, any choice for size.
- Golden Taklon nylon/natural hair brushes, or an assortment of both. You can reuse the brushes from the Abstract art class! I recommend nylon brushes for ease. You will want a few different sizes, but probably no larger than a size 8.
- Thin line markers in white or black.
- Watercolor semi moist pans OR tubes. Please upgrade from using Crayola or other early scholastic type watercolors! While scholastic grade art supplies are not a bad thing, in watercolors it truly makes a difference! Great watercolors are translucent, vibrant and buildable, and do not have matte, chalky colors. You may use any watercolor pans you find, but check reviews for good quality! Some nice store bought brands are Richeson, Faber Castell, Reeves or Windsor and Newton.
Abstract Watercolors II
Mondays, Aug 24 & 31 | 7:00 PM-8:30 PM
Supply List - see above
In this two part lesson, artist and teacher Ruthi Drori Mitelman will be building upon knowledge taught in her Abstract Watercolors I, and developing skills and techniques with a larger abstract landscape. This painting will have lots of layers and colors, and does not require any prior drawing experience! In the first lesson you will review skills, learn some composition techniques, create a sketch of your landscape, and lay down first washes of color. In the second lesson, finalize the landscape composition, and create your painting, using the skills taught in the previous lessons. Ruthi will be viewing, assisting and advising throughout! Lessons are 90 minutes long.
Monday, Aug 17, 24, 31 | 3:30 PM-4:30 PM
Instructor: Stacy Kuropata
In this course, we will explore the fundamentals of creating handbuilt pottery. This course starts from the ground up and will show you how to create your own ceramic pieces from start to finish. We will explore basic techniques such as pinching, coiling, and slab, as well as how to glaze and add color to pieces.
- 25 lb. bag Laguna B-Mix cone 6
- Beginner's Pottery Tool Kit available at Ceramic Store
- Amaco Velvet Underglazes 2 oz. Jar available at Ceramic Store
- Aqualon #8 Fan Brush
Ceramic Store of Houston
1002 West 11th St.
Pencil Drawing 101
Thursday, Aug 20, 27 & Sept 3 | 7:00 PM-8:30 PM
Supplies: Pencil, White Mars Staedler Eraser and Printer Paper
Have you always wanted to learn how to draw? In this three part series, artist and teacher Ruthi Drori Mitelman will use the tried and true technique she developed in over twenty years of studio teaching, to teach you to 'map out' your image, and learn how to put it down on paper. This technique has been used on thousands of students, and is a no fail way to learn! Students will begin with an image selected by Ruthi, and through the lessons progress to using their own images. This class is for beginners, and will also discuss pattern, texture, line, shade, and other drawing fundamentals. Lessons are 90 minutes long, and require only pencil and printer paper to begin!