Want to be a volunteer? We have many ways for you to get involved!
Done in a Day Volunteering
2019 Fall Arts & Ideas (Min. Age: 18+)
Ann and Stephen Kaufman Jewish Book & Arts Festival
Please consider volunteering in the bookstore for set up and/or tear down. The bookstore becomes the J's living room during Book Festival and a really important part of the Festival, so we hope you can carve out some time for one (or more!) of the shifts. In addition, please consider volunteering during the book festival as an usher/ticket taker.
- Bookstore Set Up Sign Up (Oct 16-31)
- Usher/Ticket Taker Sign Up (Nov 2-13)
- Bookstore Tear Down Sign Up (Nov 14-22)
- Thursday, Dec. 19 | 12:15 PM–1:15 PM and 6:45 PM–7:45 PM
- Sign Up: Fall Arts & Ideas
Volunteers Needed to Drive on a Single Day for Meals on Wheels (Min Age: 18+)
- Can't commit to a regular delivery schedule? We have single day opportunities to deliver meals.
- Mon-Fri pick-up meals at the J 10:00 AM-11:30 AM; 1-1.5 hours
- Contact: Kari Stein at email@example.com or 713.595.8177
Volunteers needed to Drive for Meals on Wheels (Min Age: 18+)
- Mon-Fri pick-up meals at the J 10:00 AM-11:30 AM; weekly commitment: 1-1.5 hrs
- Contact: Kari Stein firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.595.8177
Volunteer with the Foster Grandparent Program of Harris County (FGP)
- Be a mentor and tutor to at-risk youth on a weekly basis (minimum of 20 hours per week).
- Serve as a non-judgmental and consistent grandparent figure to kids who need extra love and support.
- Common sites are head start centers, public schools, and emergency homeless shelters throughout Harris County.
- Opportunity to earn tax-exempt stipend of $2.65 per hour and limited mileage reimbursement. To be eligible, your total household monthly income cannot exceed $2,023 (one person) or $2,743 (two people)
- Contact Bea Rivas at email@example.com or 713.595.8198.
RSVP - Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (Min. Age: 55+)
- Long-term volunteer opportunities throughout the Greater Houston area. Contact Walt McFadden: firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.595.8157.
Volunteer with Youth with Special Needs on Sundays - Sport Stars Program (Min. Age: 15+)
- No sports skills needed - just patience and willingness to help. Weekly Commitment: 1-2 hrs
- Weekly during the school year. Basketball & Soccer | 4:00 PM-6:00 PM | Weekly or one-time: 1 hr. Contact Melanee Weiser at email@example.com.
Volunteer with Senior Companions Program (Min. Age: 55+)
- Help homebound seniors. Opportunity to earn tax-free stipend and benefits if low-income person with monthly income for one person $2,010 and two people $2,706 or less. Weekly commitment: 20 hrs; Contact Sandra Smolensky at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.595.8183.
Office Helper (Min Age: 18+)
Contact Sylvia Dauber at email@example.com.
1) Accounting Department
• Filing and organizing for Accounting Department. Mon-Fri 9:00 AM—3:00 PM
• Weekly or one-time commitment: 1 hr
2) Senior Companions Program
• Filing and organizing Mon-Fri 9:00 AM—3:00 PM.
• 3-4 hours a day for three days a week.
• Help answering the phone, filing, etc. Mon-Fri 3:00 PM—6:00 PM (M-F).
• Daily: 3 hours
• Summer months only
4) Arts and Culture
• Filing and organizing for Arts and Culture Department. Mon-Fri 9:00 AM—3:00 PM.
• Weekly: 1 -2 hrs
• Seasonal: October/November and March/April