As a follow up to our email from last week about Covid-19, and given the latest headlines regarding the spread of the virus in Houston, I wanted to update you about the status of our programs as well as share some critical health-related resources.
Our staff and lay leaders will continue to balance providing critical social services, child care and maintaining other programs while fulfilling other needs while ensuring that your health and safety is our top priority. We continue to increase cleaning throughout the J and ask you to be mindful of the CDC recommended published guidelines before participating in any J related activities.
In this fast-paced changing health challenge that we are facing, we will continue to monitor all of our programs, activities and events and provide you with regular updates. Please make note of the following important program updates:
CANCELLED OR POSTPONED
- Tonight's Houston Jewish Film Festival Sneak Preview Night is cancelled.
- Great Tappers from the Golden Age of Hollywood program on Sunday, March 15 featuring Rice University professor Debra Dickinson is cancelled.
- The Adult Art Showcase Reception on Sunday in honor of the opening of the art show in the lobby is cancelled.
- The Nite Owls Birthday Bash for Tuesday, March 17 will be postponed.
Ticket holders will receive a separate communication from our program departments regarding programs being re-scheduled or refunded.
PROGRAMS TAKING PLACE AS OF 3/12/20
- We are evaluating the status of the Houston Jewish Film Festival and our plans for the event that is scheduled to open on Saturday, March 21. Information regarding the Festival will be announced early next week as we research our program options.
- Spring Break Vacation Camp including Tennis Camp will be held as planned Monday-Friday March 16-20 at the Merfish Teen Center instead of at the J. Our scheduled field trips off property have been cancelled. Updates will be communicated by Stefani Rozen to the families and children enrolled.
- We will continue to provide Meals on Wheels, including frozen meals and shelf-stable items, to our homebound seniors.
- At this point, all other programs, classes, gymnastics teams, etc. will continue as scheduled including Early Childhood Services at BAS and West Houston and KidZone afterschool program. The Fitness Center, Tennis Center and Merfish Pool will remain open for your use as will the Café.
Please make sure to adhere to CDC guidelines and be very mindful of your personal health when participating in any J program or utilizing any of our facilities.
Please feel free to contact me at 713.551.7232 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or I can address any concerns.
Thank you for your cooperation and support in these very difficult and challenging times.
Chief Executive Officer
Keep Our Community Healthy – It’s a Partnership
We all have a role to play in slowing the spread of Covid-19. Your health and safety is our top priority, and we ask that you help reduce the spread of illness by following these guidelines:
- If you have traveled overseas to one of the countries that issued a Travel Health Notice by the CDC, we ask you to self-quarantine for a two-week period before returning symptom free to the J.
- Exercise good judgment. If you are ill, please refrain from visiting the J until your symptoms including cough, runny nose, shortness of breath, and fever have subsided and you are fever free for at least 24 hours.
- Please keep sick children home and follow “return to school” guidelines. If you are called to pick up a sick child, please arrive in a timely manner.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing.
- Please wipe down your equipment in the Fitness Center before and after use. Place used Fitness Center towels in the designated baskets.
An estimated 80% of Covid-19 cases may have no or mild symptoms, meaning that even if you don’t think you are sick or if you are not at risk for severe illness, you should still practice these hygiene habits to protect yourself and those around you.
Please stay informed through official resources including:
Houston Health Department Call Center
Weekdays from 9:00 AM-7:00 PM and Saturdays from 9:00 AM-3:00 PM. The hotline will return voice messages left after hours the following day on a first-call, first-served basis.
Harris County Public Health Call Center
9:00 AM-7:00 PM Daily