On behalf of the J, I would like to extend the best wishes to you and your family for a happy and healthy 2018!
It was great to see many of you this past Sunday at the Jewish CultureFest at Evelyn’s Park in Bellaire. The weather cooperated so we could all enjoy the live music, great food and the many great activities. Special thanks to the City of Bellaire and Evelyn’s Park staff for assisting with the festival and to Rabbi Samantha Safran for coordinating the festival.
We continue to move forward with renovations to the J. I have a number of very important building updates to share with you:
- Our Early Childhood Education program will be transitioning back to BAS and will re-open on Monday, January 8. We look forward to the BAS community returning to the Levit Campus and want to extend our deepest appreciation to the Shlenker School and Congregation Beth Israel for being a temporary home for four of our BAS classes since mid-September.
- Work on the elevators will begin on January 3. Thank you for your patience as I know this has been challenging. The delay was a result of having to manufacture replacement elevators, and, as you can imagine, replacement parts are in huge demand.
- Our Fitness Center Grand Re-Opening is scheduled for Sunday, January 21. The YMCA of Greater Houston opened its doors to our members to exercise, swim and take classes while we were closed and after we re-opened in our temporary location. I know that everyone joins me in expressing our heartfelt appreciation to the Y as our arrangement to provide guest membership ends as of December 31. Further details regarding the Fitness Center will be shared in early January.
- Meals on Wheels will also be returning to the J at the end of December. Special thank you to St. Philip's United Methodist Church for hosting the Meals on Wheels and other adult programs. We will continue to utilize Godwin Park for adult programs until the elevators are fully operational.
- I also want to extend our appreciation to Congregation Brith Shalom for hosting the Melton & More program this fall as well as many other J activities. Melton will return to the Merfish Teen Center in mid-January.
As you read about the facility transitions, life at the J is slowly returning to normal. One of the last remaining pieces of the renovation puzzle is the lower level, and our goal is to start work at the end of January to be completed late spring as the space is essential for our summer camp program. Registration for summer camp opens February 4!
As we look forward to 2018, I want to express my grateful appreciation to you for your continued patience and support. I look forward to seeing you on campus and participating in programs and services.
In closing, I want to publicly thank and recognize the staff for their dedication, commitment and passion. Each and every member of the J team remains committed to a prosperous and meaningful 2018 at the J.
Executive Vice President