The Foster Grandparent Program (FGP) is one of the three programs of the federally funded AmeriCorps Seniors. The Foster Grandparent Program offers older adults age 55 and older opportunities to serve as mentors, tutors and confidants or role-models for children and youth with special and exceptional needs.
Foster Grandparents volunteer in schools, hospitals, drug treatment facilities, correctional institutions, Head Start and other day care centers. There are 30,000 Foster Grandparents nationwide.
Volunteers share their love and wisdom with children and youth in the Harris County community. Foster Grandparents must be 55 years of age or older, meet income eligibility requirements and be interested in working with children.
Foster Grandparents volunteer a minimum of 20 hours a week and on special assignments volunteers can serve up to 40 hours per week.
- A stipend of $4.00 per hour which by federal law is not taxable and does not affect rent calculations and other benefits
- Limited transportation reimbursement
- A meal at the volunteer site or limited reimbursement
- In-service training
- Excess liability insurance
- The satisfaction of knowing they have made a difference in the life of a child!